Pacific Grove Books offers innovative publishing opportunities for debut and established authors, to join an imprint that publishes only books related to, or set in, the California coastal town of Pacific Grove, on the prestigious Monterey Bay Peninsula.
To present books that preserve and protect our special community, that honor and preserve our past, enrich our present and inform our future. To raise national literary awareness by demonstrating the power of stories to bring people of all cultures together, while relaxing, reading and writing in a remarkable small town setting.
Pacific Grove Books publishes books about or related to Pacific Grove, in all genres, that educate, entertain, or inspire. See website for current published and to be published books. Submissions are by email only: give a brief description of your book, a setting-oriented pitch, and why you think Pacific Grove Books should publish it; include an outline, introduction, sample illustrations or photographs, sample captions, sample recipes (if cookbook), and text/sample chapters. Email [email protected]. Proposals will be reviewed and responded to within three months of receipt. No phone calls please.
WHO PACIFIC GROVE BOOKS PUBLISHES
Pacific Grove Books publishes emerging and midcareer authors. A résumé including a list of prior publications can strengthen your submission. Although prior publications are important, they are not a requirement; part of our mission is to present promising debut authors alongside those who have been previously published.
Recent Pacific Grove Books titles include:
- Life in Pacific Grove, Books 1 and 2, by Pacific Grove Writers
- A Quaint Town for a Killing, by Jeffrey Whitmore
- Pacific Grove 1974, by William Minor
WHAT PACIFIC GROVE BOOKS PUBLISHES
Pacific Grove Books publishes literary novels, full-length short story collections, poetry, creative nonfiction, book-length essays and essay collections, and the occasional memoir. CHP does not accept submissions for anthologies, genre fiction, or books for children.
Please familiarize yourself with our books to see if your work and our list are compatible. Most independent bookstores and many libraries carry our titles. You can also browse through our online catalog.
HOW TO SUBMIT A MANUSCRIPT
We publish fiction and non-fiction books that are about Pacific Grove or are set in Pacific Grove: romance, mystery, history, memoir, travel, short stories, self-help, spiritual, pop culture, art, relationships and lifestyle, among others.
- We only accept digital submissions by email.
- Submissions may be a proposed topic with a completed outline, or a completed manuscript.
- Please allow three months for your submission to be reviewed. You will be notified whether or not your manuscript is accepted.
What to Include in Your Proposal
- Include a one-page cover what’s included in the package, and your contact information.
- If your proposal is a simultaneous submission, please indicate this in your cover letter.
- letter giving a brief description of your Pacific Grove book, why you think Pacific Grove Books should publish it,Include an outline, introduction, sample illustrations or photographs, sample captions, sample recipes (if cookbook) or projects (if craft book), and text/sample chapters.
- When submitting artwork, either as a part of a project or as samples for review, please do not send original art, as it will not be returned.
- Include a market analysis of the potential readership for the book. Who is the reader? What trends does the title speak to? Include a list of similar titles including the publisher, date of publication, and a brief explanation of how your book differs from what’s currently available.
- Include an author/illustrator/photographer biography that includes publishing credits and credentials in the field.
- If you would like confirmation of receipt, please include a self-addressed stamped postcard for the editor to put in the mail upon receiving your proposal.
Where to Send Your Proposal
Chronicle Books, Submissions Editor
680 Second Street
San Francisco, California 94107
or email [email protected]